skip navigation

COVID -19 Updates

By James Egbert, 03/20/20, 2:15PM CDT

Share

Updated March 31st USAV

USA Volleyball is extending the elimination of sanctions for all USA Volleyball activities (including but not limited to events, practices, team activities, individual training sessions or anything covered by USA Volleyball insurance) through April 30, 2020. USA Volleyball is monitoring the situation daily and will continue to provide updates on a regular basis.

USA Volleyball has been asked by local clubs whether such ban applies to club activities covered under the club’s own (non-USA Volleyball) insurance. In these situations, USA Volleyball strongly encourages all member clubs and coaches to adhere to USA Volleyball’s policies. However, should a club decide to voluntarily disregard those policies and assume all risks associated therewith, we recommend that the club adhere to CDC; local, state and federal guidelines and recommendations when deciding whether or not to host practices or individual training sessions. If a club does host practice or individual training sessions, those activities would be considered a non-sanctioned activity by USA Volleyball and thus NOT covered by USA Volleyball insurance.

The health and welfare of our membership, volleyball families and fellow citizens is our primary concern in all decisions we are making during these uncharted times.

 

Updated March 25th JVA

Good afternoon,

We are all closely following the evolution of the COVID-19 coronavirus, and based on the most recent updates, the Junior Volleyball Association is recommending that all JVA insured events (practices, clinics, camps, and tournaments) continue to be postponed to ensure the welfare and safety of the athletes, spectators and staff, as well as your respective community. We strongly recommend following the policies in place by your State Department of Public Health and local government. In light of the frequent updates from the CDC, local, state and national government, this decision could quickly change.

 

One bright spot in all the gloom, is the coming together of our volleyball community. Directors are connecting daily via live stream, email, text, phone calls, and we will continue to do our part to support our members any way that we can. This is a time to join together, support one another, and share resources to keep our clubs engaged and in a position to financially recover. 

JVA Events:

We continue to monitor the spread of the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) daily. As of today, the 2020 JVA West Coast Cup, JVA SummerFest and JVA World Challenge are scheduled as planned. We will continue to monitor the national, state and city health recommendations in Long Beach, Columbus and Louisville. Our hope is to make a final assessment of the status of the JVA West Coast Cup by Monday, May 4th. If there are any updates before then, we will promptly notify all participating teams. In the meantime, we encourage everyone to follow local precautions to keep yourself healthy. 

For more updates and recommendations click HERE.

Updated March 20th

Hello to our dear Crossfire Family,

We just wanted to touch base to encourage you and let you know that we as a leadership team continue to pray for you – our family – and wish you health and togetherness as you navigate this very weird and difficult time in our lives.   We love you and miss you and cannot wait until we are together again.

I know this pandemic seems very distant, even as the first case of Coronavirus was confirmed in St. Charles county today.  If you have been keeping an eye on things though, you know that the US had its biggest jump in cases today (more than 4,500 confirmed) which increased the number from Wednesday by 49%!  The period of exponential growth is here, to be sure.

This evening we received an update from the USAV stating that they are extending the blackout until at least April 15.  We expect the AAU and JVA to render similar judgments in the next day or two, because they are all in close communication with each other.  This of course impacts the resumption of the season, and our response as a club, leadership team and coaching staff alike. 

After prayerful consideration, we have determined to continue to follow the guidelines of the CDC and the USAV and maintain our suspension of activity until we get clear direction that the risk has abated.  We feel it’s important to reinforce this with you because we are being asked about our position and also our opinions on smaller practices, private lessons, etc.   To be frank, there is no better way to combat this contagion than social distancing, and it is simply not possible to achieve that in a practice setting. 

We understand the risk is low for people the age of our athletes in good health.  What we also understand is that a number of our kids have elderly family members who live with them, some have others close to them with immunodeficiencies, and some have had childhood illnesses which have diminished their respiratory systems’ abilities to fight off an infection like this.  It simply isn’t worth the risk to anyone’s life to continue right now.  Since we are following the guidelines of the latest governing body’s recommendation, as of tonight, April 15 th is the earliest date we will be able to get back together.  We believe the outage will extend beyond that timeframe also, but we will wait for the authorities to speak to that.

As tournaments dates are consumed by the outage, directors are rescheduling them in order to preserve what they can of the season.  While local tournaments are of no consequence with regard to additional investment, travel tournaments such as Regionals in Cape Girardeau, ASICS Show Me, and even JVA World Challenge are indeed a different animal because of hotel arrangements.  We are being asked on a regular basis by parents what they should do about reserving hotels.   

Due to the fluidity of the situation right now, even though we hope to be back and want everyone to get great accommodations, we recommend you do not book any hotel rooms until circumstances are closer to a resolution.  It is possible given the financial pressures being leveled by this economy, hotel policies may change with regard to refunds and you may not get your deposits back if the event cancels or is postponed again.  If our season does open up, it is our belief you will have sufficient time to reserve once the ban is lifted.  Perhaps we will have guidance of a different direction in the future, but for now we can only err on the side of caution.

The best defense against becoming one of the affected is to adhere to “the five” when you MUST go out, but stay home as much as possible.  That is our official request to you, so that we can get back to playing as soon as possible.

As always, we are here for you.  Please do not hesitate to contact me or James if you have anything you need to discuss.  We love you and thank you for your dedication to our club and our guiding principles.  It is those very standards which are compelling us to take this position. 

One last note: if you know someone who needs ANYTHING, such as food or household items brought to their homes, or anything else, could you please let us know?  We want safe opportunities to serve our community as a club.

See you in the gym (as soon as we can!),

Mike and James

Updated March 19th

Please find below the announcement USAV posted on their website earlier this afternoon.
USA Volleyball is announcing the elimination of sanctions for all USA Volleyball activities (including but not limited to events, practices, team activities, individual training sessions or anything covered by USA Volleyball insurance) through April 15, 2020. USA Volleyball is monitoring the situation daily and will continue to provide updates on a regular basis.
USA Volleyball has been asked by local clubs whether such ban applies to club activities covered under the club’s own (non-USA Volleyball) insurance. In these situations, USA Volleyball strongly encourages all member clubs and coaches to adhere to USA Volleyball’s policies. However, should a club decide to voluntarily disregard those policies and assume all risks associated therewith, we recommend that the club adhere to CDC; local, state and federal guidelines and recommendations when deciding whether or not to host practices or individual training sessions. If a club does host practice or individual training sessions, those activities would be considered a non-sanctioned activity by USA Volleyball and thus NOT covered by USA Volleyball insurance.
The health and welfare of our membership, volleyball families and fellow citizens is our primary concern in all decisions we are making during these uncharted times.

As a reminder USA Volleyball has a page on its website solely devoted to COVID-19 which is updated with the latest information at https://www.teamusa.org/.../usa-volleyball-response-on....

Additionally,
We are working to reschedule our Regional Championships and plan for additional eventualities. Several Qualifiers have announced tentative updates or are actively working on reschedules. Please visit individual qualifier websites and our event pages to get updated information:

Big South Qualifier: https://www.bigsouth.us/
Mideast Qualifier: https://www.capitolsportscenter.com/meq
ShowMe Qualifier: http://showmenq.org/wp/
Northern Lights Qualifier: https://www.northernlightsjuniors.org/.../northern.../
Northeast Qualifier: https://www.neqvolleyball.com/.../northeast.../overview
GW Girls Regionals: https://www.gatewayvb.org/.../2989096-gateway-girls...
GW Boys MS Regionals: https://www.gatewayvb.org/.../2989095-gateway-boys-regionals
GW Girls Bid Event: https://www.gatewayvb.org/.../2989093-gateway-region...

 

Update March 13th

We are continuing to monitor the status of COVID-19 coronavirus. In the interest of welfare and safety of our membership, USA Volleyball is eliminating the sanctioning for all USA Volleyball activities, effective 11:59pm, Friday, March 13th. This ban on all USA Volleyball sanctioned activities extends through March 31st. We are monitoring the situation on a daily basis and will provide periodic updates as information becomes more apparent. Please refer to (https://www.teamusa.org/.../usa-volleyball-response-on...) for the latest updated information.
This mean that all meetings, practices and tournaments will not have insurance coverage through those dates. Please notify your coaches, players, and families immediately.

Update March 12th

USAV and AAU have sent out a note to all Club directors that we should stop all Practices and club gatherings at this time due to the COVID -19 scare. Since they are our governing body and our insurance is through them we have to comply at this time.

All practices will be canceled until March 22nd. We plan to resume as of March 23rd.


Below is the body of the message sent by USAV regarding the cancellations of events sent 3-12-2020 at 7:52am.

 

Given the recent events including but not limited to the NCAA announcement regarding championship attendance, the NBA suspending their season and the President’s announcement to halt all travel from Europe, and an emergency call with the USOPC to discuss the Coronavirus situation, USA Volleyball is recommending the postponement or cancellation of all USAV nationally sanctioned events though March 22nd. This includes week 2 of Colorado Crossroads, MEQ, PNQ, HP tryouts and the coaching clinic planned for next week in Anaheim. This decision was articulated to the qualifier directors prior to the public announcement which was then posted on our website and across social media channels (to reach the participants in the broadest manner possible) and was made to ensure the safety of our participants, spectators and staff.

 

We are recommending that all regionally sanctioned events follow this same direction.

 

USA Volleyball will continue to monitor this situation very closely and will provide frequent updates (including decisions for events after March 22nd) as new information becomes available. We will furthermore be keeping our website up to date with the latest developments.